Cherry Valley-Springfield Central School has partnered with Safer Schools Together to provide video education for parents and students regarding internet responsibility. These videos are excellent resources for social media trends, digital addiction, parental controls, and understanding the digital world from a teens perspective.
Social Media Awareness, Digital Citizenship & Cyberbullying
This parent module focuses on all things digital. Your child has now entered the peak of their digital media lives where cell phone ownership doubles, video game use explodes, and social media use may become problematic. Children encounter situations that will challenge their independence. Parents have an important role to play in providing support and guidance during critical periods. Video link below.
This module includes:
- Digital media habits, oversharing, and digital addiction
- The permanence of online posts/activity
- The significance of your digital tattoo in how others perceive you (e.g., sports teams, college admissions, and potential employers)
- Relevant trends in your district/general area, information children may encounter while online and how to address it effectively
- Vault apps and how to detect them
- Geo-locational settings and the dangers of social media and cell phone misuse
- The social and legal consequences of cyberbullying behavior as well as possession and distribution of intimate images (sexting and sextortion)
- Recommendations for family rules/conversations, parental controls, family tech plans, as well as suggestions for monitoring your tween/teen’s digital life
- Snapshot of concerning apps and platforms will be provided to equip you with your digital parenting strategy
Raising Digitally Responsible Youth: A Parent's Guide
This Parent’s Guide to Raising Digitally Responsible Youth will equip you with the knowledge you need to stay in the loop about the most popular applications and trends. Correspondingly, this guide will give you a better understanding of your child or teen’s internet usage so you can relate to the digital world they live in. This is a downloadable guide with complete information.
Additional Parent Resources
Additional parent resources can be found at the Safer Schools Together website by following the link below. These include videos and articles pertaining to Internet Lingo and Slang Terms, A Sexting Safety Agreement, Protect Your Privacy on Facebook, Social Media Checklist for Parents, and Common Sense Media Digital Contract. Digital resources are continually updated on this page.